Thursday, October 10, 2013

Test Results and Math Club Next Week

Hello
Just a follow up regarding the Math test coming home today.

Next week I will be having a Math Club (date to be confirmed) at recess so to help a number of students with areas they had difficulty with on the test. The students who need to attend will have it commented on their tests. In Math Club we will work to raise the students marks on the tests.

While some students truly have difficulty in Math other students are experiencing difficulty because they don't practice their math skills at home when homework is assigned and/or they don't prepare for the test by studying (or studying incorrectly). In the next little while I will be taking time to go over good study techniques that apply to all the subjects I teach. Today I stressed to the students that they cannot just walk into a test or quiz and do well. Everyone should prepare.

While writing the Geography quiz today I saw a number of students in 8A and 8B who had not studied for the quiz and they were having a lot of difficulty with what should have been a rather quick quiz. I would ask that the parents help remind students to take time to study (without distractions).

I have a number of parents inquire as to how long students have to get ready for a test. I will never give a test or quiz without at least 3 days notice and usually a weeks notice is given so that a weekend is available and I will have time to offer a help session. As previously noted I gave two help sessions before the last Math test which few took advantage of. Please check the website www.mrbrooks.ca or Twitter @mrrobertbrooks to keep up to date. The whiteboard in the classroom is updated daily with the upcoming work and events.

If you have any questions or concerns please email.

Thanks
Mr. Brooks

PS I would also like to thank 8Z and 8Y for their wonderful singing today, it was very appreciated ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment